- Asessippi Provincial Park
- Lake of the Prairies
- Shellmouth Dam
- Asessippi Ski Hill and Winter Park
- Inglis Grain Elevators National Historic Site – named on MB Top 10 architectual icons
- Old Asessippi Town Site
- Frank Skinner Aboretum Trail
- St. Elijah Romanian Orthodox Church and Romanian Folk House
Asessippi Provincial Park
Information: 1-800-214-6497 or (204) 945-6784
Campsite reservations: (888)-4U2-CAMP (888) 482-2267 or (204) 948-3333
Located at the southeastern end of the man-made Lake of the Prairies, Asessippi Provincial Park includes facilities for camping, trails for hiking and snowmobiling, boating, swimming and water-sports on the lake, and some of the best walleye fishing in the province. The Assiniboine and Shell rivers provide for good canoeing, and rentals are available at the concession. The steeply contoured land around the lake, featuring many hills and valleys, provides a picturesque route for cyclists.
A number of campgrounds surround the lake, which is 67 km (42 miles) in length, making it possible to take a leisurely tour round the lake with several overnight stops. Facilities also include horseshoe pits, ball diamonds, children’s playgrounds, and group camping facilities.
Lake of the Prairies
A man-made lake which crosses the provincial border into Saskatchewan, Lake of the Prairies was the result of the construction of the Shellmouth Dam, built in 1968 to control flooding upstream on the Assiniboine River. It fills a 67 km (42 mile) stretch of the Assiniboine River valley. Electrical campsites and fishing and houseboat rentals are available. You can also trek along the self-guiding Ancient Valley trail or enjoy the designated swimming area. The Trans Canada Trail follows the valley.
Lake of the Prairies has, in the past, recorded an annual walleye catch per square kilometre that is five times greater than the provincial average. Due to the tremendous resources required to keep Lake of the Prairies well-stocked and to preserve the high quality of the fishery, a slot limit on catches has been enacted.
The facility comprises an earthfill dam across the Assiniboine River Valley and includes a concrete overflow spillway and a gated outlet conduit. It was completed by PFRA in 1969.
The dam is about 1300 meters long and 21 meters high, with a top elevation of 435.1 meters, creating a reservoir, Lake of the Prairies, 60 km long with a storage capacity of over 477,000 cubic dekameters (385,000 acre feet) and a firm annual yield of 125,00 cubic dakameters. The operating range has a summer target level of 427.5 meters and a normal winter draw down level of 424. meters.
The concrete shute spillway is 64 meters wide and the crest has an elevation of 429.31 meters.
The Shellmouth dam was one of three major flood protection projects recommended by the Royal Commission in 1958 to ease flood conditions caused by the Red and Assiniboine rivers. The other two being the Red River Floodway and the Portage Diversion.
The dam controls the upper reaches of the Assiniboine River in Manitoba; spring runoff is stored, and released slowly throughout the year providing flood protection to rural areas along the Assiniboine Valley and to Brandon. This also serves to reduce spring flows into Winnipeg when the Red River is high.
The storage capacity is also used for water conservation providing downstream communities such as Brandon and Portage la Prairie with a dependable water supply. Other uses include irrigation, stockwatering, recreation, and thermo-electric cooling. Recreation on the reservoir is an important consideration in planning reservoir releases. Fish habitat in the reservoir and downstream is also considered.
In the spring of 1997, the reservoir was drawn down to 422.4 meters. The peak inflow was 300 cubic meters per second (10600cfs) on April 27 and the peak outflow was only 42.5 cms(1500 cfs). Although helpful in dealing with the Red River flood, most of the benefits were realized on the Assiniboine River.
The one in one hundred year flood level for the Lake of the Prairies, including wind effects, is estimated to be 432.2 meters (1418 feet). The one in a thousand event is estimated to be 1425.0.
Asessippi Ski Hill & Winter Park
Has 25 runs, one quad chair, two triple chair, 2 terrain parks with half pipe, 3 downhill snow tubing, licensed patio with barbecues, ski patrol and school, rental and pro shop, a magical winter village, dining facilities, cross-country skiing, and night skiing. This new world-class downhill resort was inspired by the designs of Quebec and the north-eastern U.S., and won a national Attractions Canada Award for Best New Attraction in 2000. Has since won several other awards and is a Manitoba “Star Attraction”. Located in Asessippi Provincial Park off Highway 83. Phone (204) 564-2000.
Inglis Grain Elevators National Historic Site
The Inglis Grain Elevators National Historic Site is internationally recognized as a unique and enduring architectural symbol of the Prairies, representing one of the most important periods in the development of Canada’s grain industry from 1900 to 1930.
Located right in the town of Inglis. Tours are available from June to September or upon request in the off season. A gift shop is open to purchase memorabilla featuring the Inglis Grain Elevators. Also a Manitoba “Star Attraction”.
Old Asessippi Town Site
The remnants of the abandoned town of Asessippi, which once included a brick factory, may be found along the shores of the Shell River, just west of Highway 83 near Inglis. It is an example of the communities that sprang up with the expectation that the rail line would pass through the area, but then disappeared soon after the railway was built elsewhere.
Frank Skinner Aboretum Trail
The Frank Skinner Arboretum Trail and a number of special gardens including the Skinner Introductions Garden seek to highlight the special role played by Dr. Skinner in introducing and developing a wide variety of species and varieties that have been adapted across North America and even Europe. The trail is a series of self guided trails leading through a variety of native and planted species. For more information call 1-866-552-5496.
St. Elijah Romanian Orthodox Church and Romanian Folk House
Five km (3 miles) north (PR 592) and 1 km (3/4 mile) west of Inglis can be found the only church of its kind in North America (a provincially designated heritage site), and a traditional Romanian home. The church was built in 1908 and is a replica of Romanian Orthodox churches in Bukovyna, with a simple rectangular shape with a rounded end, interior sculptured rafters, processional crosses and icons. The house, built in 1906, is typically Romanian in construction, with the characteristic deep-sloping roof on all four sides with rounded, shingled corners. Phone (204) 564-2228.