- Bethany Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Holy Trinity Lutheran Church
- Shellmouth United Heritage Church
- St. Elijah Parish – Lennard
Bethany Evangelical Lutheran Church
Bethany Evangelical Lutheran Church traces it’s roots back to the work of pioneering pastors who came to this area as early as 1893. It was not until 1901 that Bethany was officially organized. Until 1950 Bethany was located in the Freefield district when the church (with bell in place) was moved to Inglis. Bethany continues to be a church rooted in the gospel and faithful to the Lutheran confessions, ministering to the community of Inglis and area. Bethany is a member church of the Saskatchewan Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church In Canada. www.elcic.ca
December Services at 9:30 am
December 20th at 7:30 pm Blue Christmas Candlelight Service
December 24th at 7:00 pm Christmas Eve Service Carols and Readings
December 25th at 9:30 am Christmas Day Communion
Come join us, All our Welcome
Worship Services alternate monthly:
January, March, May, July, September and November are at 11:00 am
February, April, June, August, October and December are at 9:30 am.
Cemetery Cleanup – at Freefield East, Freefield South, Bethany and Emmanuel. Number of tasks to be done over the summer if you can help contact Bert Marshall, Curt Koss or Alvin Zimmer
Special services are held on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Holy Communion is celebrated on the first and third Sundays and all festivals.
Sunday School is held during the school year. Children go to Sunday School first on the first and third Sundays and church first on the second and fourth. Confirmation instruction is offered for youth in grades 7/8 as preparation for them to affirm their baptism. All youth are invited to participate in our youth group for grades 7-12. Contact Brady Burla for more information.
Women are invited to a time of fellowship and study with a unit of our national womens group; The Evangelical Lutheran Women (ELW) which meets the third Thursday of the month at 7:30 pm.
Holy Trinity Lutheran Church
1911 – Present the roots of Holy Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church of Inglis began in this country in the mid 1890’s. Lutheran Immigrants from Russia, Poland, and Germany came to the area. One of the first pastors to serve the Boulton Lutheran (Trinity group) was Pastor Geith. He was the regular pastor from Landestreu, SK from 1895 to 1902. Trinity Lutheran also had Pastor Agather and Pastor Dawidowski in its early years 1902 – 1911. In 1911, Trinity officially organized as a church body called Trinity and its first resident Pastor was Berthold Hein.
Trinity Lutheran church was a unique Lutheran Church in that it catered to Lutheran’s with Polish as their first language. While German was the main language, Polish was used off and on right up until 1955. English was and still is the main language used from 1943 to present.
Worship services are held at Trinity church at 9:00 a.m. Sundays.
Shellmouth United Heritage Church
Shellmouth, MB had its start in 1882, as Western Canada began to open up to settlers. As in most communities, the pioneers never neglected their faith. Church services and Sunday school were held in private homes with visiting clergy. All the neighbors regardless of denomination gathered to hear the service. Our earliest records show that a congregational meeting was held in the Shellmouth school house in 1904. It was resolved that a new 60′ x 24′ church be erected in the amount of $800.00. The money was to be raised by grant and subscription It was moved that the ladies undertake a social to arouse interest.
With a vision and careful planning, the building of the church began. The lumber and supplies were hauled from Russell 20 miles away by horse and wagon. Parishioners rented pews at $4.00 per annum or $2.00 per seat. The Church was officially opened on June 25, 1905. The three stations of the Shell River Presbyterian Church were comprised of Asessippi, Shellmouth and Grainsby. Throughout the years, Ladies Aid, Sunday School, CGIT, Mission Band, art classes, choir members all played a part in molding and building the church.
In 1966, with changing times, the beauiful little church in the valley was closed as a United Church. A group of ladies purchased the church and it remained in use for funerals and weddings upon request. In 1998, group of descendants of the early parishioners decided to restore the church. A non-profit corporation was formed with charitabe tax status. The Church was designated a Heritage Site.
To date, cedar shingles have been replaced and windows and window sills rebuilt along with a few coats of paint. In 2002, a cement pad was poured at the Church entrance.
Each year a group of artists from across Canada hold a retreat in the peaceful community of Shellmouth. The Church is a popular site and a frequent subject for their paintings.
Every year, on the Sunday of the August long weekend, at 11:00 a.m.(DST), a church service is held. Everyone is welcome to join in the service.
We welcome any donations. Please send donations to:
381 Nightingale Road
Winnipeg MB R3J 3G7. Payable to: Shellmouth United Heritage Church.
An income tax receipt will be issued to you.
St. Elijah Parish – Lennard
Only three miles north of Inglis is located St. Elijah Romanian Orthodox Parish. This parish is unique in that it was established by Romanian immigrants from the Carpathian Region more than a hundred years ago and was the only rural Romanian settlement in Manitoba.
Today only a handful of descendants of the original pioneers remain in the area. However, the parish remains active and church services continue to be held once a month. The services are conducted in English by a priest of Irish descent.
St. Elijah celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2003. More than 400 visitors from all over North America attended a two-day celebration on the August long week-end.
To retain the memory of the original Romanian pioneers and to record the history of the community, the parish established St. Elijah Museum. An original church and a pioneer home, built in the style of the Carpathian Region in northern Romania, were restored. The pioneer house is furnished in period furniture and displays mannequins dressed in traditional Romanian clothes. The old church contains most of the original relics and features a gold-embossed ceiling and hand-painted icons. The museum was designated a provincial heritage site and won the 2002 Prix Manitoba Award – Heritage.
To mark the 100th anniversary, a 212 page history of the community entitled Where Money Grew on Trees: A History of the Romanian Pioneers of Lennard Manitoba was written and is available at the Inglis Heritage Elevators gift shop; from the parish office (204 546-2228), or from the author (e-mail: email@example.com)
Tours of the museum can be arranged during the summer months by calling 204-564-2228 or 204-564-2243. Picnic tables and washrooms are available.
- Bethany Lutheran Church
Pastor Janet Kostyna (204) 564-2283 or
Inglis MB R0J 0X0
- Trinity Lutheran Church
65 Ploeg Street
Inglis, Manitoba R0J 0X0
Church Ph: (204) 564-2559